Thursday, August 12, 2010

Of greed and conscience

Okay, so now I have something worth blogging about other than my usual ramble. A few days ago I overheard my mother talking to someone on the phone (honestly, I didn't eavesdrop on purpose!). I was a bit curious about what she was talking about so I asked her about it. 
Apparently one of my mother's customers won a Honda Tiger on an annual lucky draw the company has. Now, this customer, an elderly woman, had no idea at all that she has won a motorbike. FYI, this kind of motorbike is quite expensive in my country (about $2,500-$3,000 per unit). So what's the deal, right? All my mom's got to do is telling her about her winning. And here's where it gets interesting. This customer - let's just call her Mrs. A - has a friend who's also my mother's customer. My mother doesn't get along well with this friend (and let's call her Mrs. B), but that's got nothing to do with my story here so I'll just skip it. 

Mrs. B found out about Mrs. A's luck before my mother could tell Mrs. A. She went to Mrs. A's house and asked the poor old woman to give her the woman's real ID card and her member card, telling the unsuspecting woman that she's going to 'help' her enter the next lucky draw. Mrs. B also very kindly told Mrs. A that she was going to send her a box of bottled water and some uncooked rice. 

The next day, my mother met Mrs. A and congratulated her for the motorbike. Mrs. A was so surprised and she said she knew nothing about it. She asked my mom what she would need to claim her winning and my mom told her about the ID card and the member card thing. Mrs. A told my mother that her so-called friend had visited her and asked to borrow her cards. My mother was shocked and she said that she would check on it later. 

Guess what? That wicked Mrs. B had changed all the phone and address information on where to call and send the prize to her own phone number and home address, and she had made a forged letter (with a forged signature) saying that Mrs. A is letting her have the motorbike. It was stated in the form (my mother works directly under the company so she can check stuff like that)My mother immediately called the company and told her about the forgery thing so when Mrs. B called to transfer the tax, the company said that the prize has been suspended. Mrs. B actually had the gut to call Mrs. A and got mad at her for suspending her prize! that the winner tax will be paid before noon that very day.

To say that I was flabbergasted when I heard it is an understatement. I really can't believe it. How can people treat other people like that? She is her friend, for chrissake! Are things more valuable now than good impressions; than friendship? Doesn't she have fear of being found out? Oh, well, apparently not, considering how she treated Mrs. A after she knew that Mrs. A had taken some actions to stop her from stealing. 

People never cease to amaze me with everything they are actually willing to do just to get an extra money. Sometimes I think that the saying that 'love makes the world goes round' is bullshit. It's not love that makes the world goes round. It's greed, people. And it's spreading like a plague. 

Now the question is, do you think you will know that enough is enough? Or will greed possess your soul?

14 comments:

  1. were they friends or just work aquaintances? Still horrible in either case. Mrs B. needs some harsh punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rick They were friends. My mother knew Mrs. A from Mrs. B, actually. Yeah, I heard Mrs. A is taking this to the court of law for attempted forgery or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That's ridiculous! Where's her sense of guilt?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeep. I hope that this can be remedied and Mrs. A can receive what is rightfully hers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like the more that we put the information out there for people to see, the easier it will be to cull the impulse to get more and more money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, that's just bad. But to be honest you get to read and hear about stories like that all the time. I actually only know the phrase "money makes the world go round" and for the most degree that's true. But only for those that live (have to live?) by this capitalistic system. One good thing always come out of this: Mrs.A has learned the true face of Mrs.B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, that's an amazing story. I'm stunned at the lengths Mrs. B went to in order to try to scam Mrs. A.
    I am in so much agreement with you about greed. I am sick of it and see it everywhere. I think it's no new thing though. Some people can't help themselves when it's within reach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That isn't right. Karma will get that greedy lady back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't trust anybody these days

    ReplyDelete
  10. As said above, Karma always comes back around. Sad, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was only saying to my fiance the other day that I think some people these days are born without a conscience. I'm a strong believer in Karma and this is going to bite Mrs B in the butt sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is inhumane. How can you do that to your friend of some materialistic greed?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was very pleased to find this web-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    ReplyDelete