Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Of "Twilight" addiction

Seriously, I don't understand what is so good about the "Twilight" Saga (both books and movies) that a lot of people are crazy about it. And no, we are not just talking about teenagers here. I read a lot about how adult women are also crazy about it - they nicknamed themselves as the 'Twilight Moms' (or the Twi-Moms); they wrote books on the subject; and they even have an official website on this. In one of the articles I read (I forget where, but I'll link it when I find it), it is mentioned that these women are actually abandoning their husbands and children and their responsibilities only to always be updated in some chat groups and all. 



Is it worth it? There are always new films and new stuff to like in the future. This whole hype about Twilight and vampires will go away in a matter of weeks. But family stays forever, no matter how many new things come along. Is it worth it, risking your relationship with real people in real world over an addiction?

I read the books and I watched the movie so my opinion is not based on "what people say". The first three books, I have to admit, were quite interesting. I mean, any books that can get me to read them in one sitting is always good enough. The whole idea about a girl falling in love and getting married to a vampire was actually very creative, and the narration was good for a light reading. It was when I got to the third book that I changed my opinion. 


I will be lying if I say that the first several chapters of the fourth book (Bella being pregnant with a vampire baby and all) weren't good. But somehow Stephanie Meyer bored me to death in the middle and by the end of the book, I was totally disappointed. It was like I was wasting my time reading the whole several hundreds of pages only to find out that the Volturi people decided not to attack the Cullens and everyone lived happily ever after. To say that I was disappointed is an understatement. 


And when I thought I couldn't be more disappointed, the first movie was out. Everyone was crazy about it. Except me. It was, in my opinion, an awful adaptation on a not-that-good-anyway book! The guy who played Edward looked like a perv and his supposed-to-be father looked like a serial killer. And the famous "baseball scene" people keep on talking about was not as spectacular as I had imagined. 


I haven't watched the second movie (New Moon) yet, and I most probably won't (I have enough share of bad movies this year). Of course the third movie will never be in my to-watch list. Ever.

16 comments:

  1. Well, I can't agree with you on this :) I completely understand the fascination with the books, it's like a modern version of Pride and Prejudice. The fourth book (in which Bella gets pregnant) I didn't enjoy as much either since all of Bella's endearing traits (aka her clumsiness) was gone. I didn't like Vampire!Bella.

    The writing was pretty bad in the early books, but consistently improved which is to be expected. All in all, I like the books, but I definitely don't consider myself a Twi-Hard. I went through a stage where I was obsessed with them. I've read each about eight times. I can say though, I read the first book before it became a fad.

    Now the movies on the other hand, horrible! The film quality was crap in the first one and I hate the choice of actors for Bella and Edward. I could go on a long rant about why but I'll spare you. The second movie was so much better than the first, especially since Jacob had a much larger role. Taylor Lautner is much better than Robert. I will be seeing Eclipse on Thursday.

    The drawn, comic book they have now is probably my fav thing to read with the book. The dialogue is much less present, but the pics are based off Stephenie Meyer's descriptions and the artist discussed them with her. I think it's beautiful and a bazillion times better than the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have the comics, too? Oh, Jeez. LOL!

    Well, like I said, the first two books are okay, the third was meh.

    Oh please don't compare them to Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen would cry in her grave! LOL!

    I still don't understand about the fascination thing. Vampires are definitely not my thing. I do enjoy Bram Stocker's Dracula (but it was brilliant!) but that's about it. I won't say that maybe I don't understand this because I'm older, though. (coz you know, some of the Twi-Moms are much older than I am).

    But I think we have the same opinion about the first movie. It was a complete crap. And of all beautiful people in the world they had to choose that Robert something? Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @AJ Yeah, they're called manga and totally beautiful, you can see some of the sketches online.
    I'm not the only one that has compared them actually, another famous author did the same. It matches up well. Bella being the intelligent Elizabeth, with Mr. Darcy being Edward, aloof and unsuspectingly falling in love. The books are popular not because they're about vampires, but because they represent a idealistic view of true love. Finding your soulmate, something people want to exist and happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog its share such a informative post.
    Thanks for update Nice share i like this blog.
    keep updating us.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have to agree halfway. =) I enjoyed books one and two, but three and four failed to impress me. And I'm NOT watching the movies. Is is my impression that with the exception of Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings, books made into movies will not be as good.
    But very well said, it is a huge topic right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nugraha thank you very much :)

    @buy logo I'll try to update regularly. Thank you. :)

    @West Isn't Twilight Series only come in three books? Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse? Is there any fourth book I don't know?
    oh, yes, I'll definitely watch HP7. HP series adaptation is epic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @West Really? 3 was my fav, then 4,1,2. So kinda the opposite, lol.
    @AJ No there's four. We've had a convo about this before back on the boards I think. I summarized each one, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, back then

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I see! Then it's the fourth book I hate the most. I'm gonna edit my post. Thanks for telling me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have wath this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @jasa logo. Hello. You have watched Eclipse? Wow, that was fast! So what do you think about the movie. I'd love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm right here with you AJ! And I forget there's 4 books too... I think I want to forget! LOL. I read all four, but somehow they blur together into one awful train wreck in my mind. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! Well, that actually makes sense. I think I dislike the fourth book so much I block it out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:34 PM

    It's good for the filming industry that the Twilight movies make so much money, but the problem is other studios try to make the next Twilight and it ends being even worse.

    It is nice to see that someone agrees with me on these movies though. "The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn." - Compliments of Mr. Stephen King

    ReplyDelete
  14. @AlterEgo definitely agree. Look at how many vampire series on television now? And that's because of Twilight, which, I don't think is not as brilliant as other people may think.

    And Oh, I'm so going to use that Stephen King quote any time someone compare Rowling to Meyer from now on, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Stephen King is the man, and he always will be in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete